On August 8th, this gull was found entangled in fishing line. The line was around the gull and a rock, completely trapping the gull.
Thanks to a nearby boater who cut the gull free from the rock and passer-by Siew Sim who removed most of the fishing line, the gull was then brought to us for care.
Unfortunately the gull had swallowed the fishing hook, so we had him X-rayed at Sechelt Animal Hospital to determine where the hook was. The x-ray showed it was embedded far down in the bird’s oesophagus. Our sincere thanks goes to Dr. Heather James and veterinary student Felix Mischko who, along with Clint, tirelessly worked for a number of hours trying to remove the hook, first using an endoscope and flexible clamp and ultimately operating on the gull.
The hook was successfully removed and the gull recovered well after being under care on antibiotics and pain-killers. He was released on August 18th and flew off strongly, circled once, then joined other gulls some distance away. One more successful release, one more life saved!
Please do not discard unwanted fishing line or tackle, this is not the first bird we have had brought to us entangled in it.